Responding the registration disaster of 2013, the Chicago Marathon has announced a new entry system. The date for the 2014 race is October 12th.
There are five ways to gain a race bib:
- Sign up through the lottery system that opens March 5th and closes April 7th
- Sign up as a qualifer (Males are 3:15:00 and Females are 3:45:00 on or after January 1, 2012)
- Participate through an official Chicago Marathon charity
- Sign up through an international tour partner
- Sign up as a “legacy finisher” (finished five or more Chicago Marathon events in the previous 10 years)
“Participant names will be selected at random from the full pool of lottery entrants to fill the remaining spots in 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon,” said race officials in a released statement earlier today. All individuals will be notified of their status on Monday, April 14th.
The 37th annual event – which began in 1977 – is capped at 45,000 runners. The change in the process is due to the registration site crashing last year, causing race officials to shut down the website and dole out the remaining 15,000 entries via a lottery system.
For more details visit www.chicagomarathon.com.